Happy New Year, all! First off, I’d like to share my last few personal works of 2022.
I finally completed the main sprite for Erika, AKA the Phantom, for my Phantom of the Opera visual novel adaptation. I had a lot of fun researching late-Victorian mourning gowns for her costume. At one point, I was really into the idea of having a veil attached to her hat, but I nixed it for practical reasons. It would have obscured her facial expressions too much and been difficult to deal with in Live2D animation.
This piece I knocked out relatively quickly during the time I had off for the holidays. It’s inspired by a lot of the reading I’ve been doing lately about medieval women mystics and “female homoeroticism” (for lack of a better term) in the Middle Ages.
I have several goals/activities planned for 2023. Starting in late January, I’ll be taking a short course on graphic novels. I love sequential art, and I’m really interested in creating some – so this is me taking the plunge. I also, of course, am going to keep working on my visual novel project, now titled Beneath the Opera House. There are only two more basic character sprites to go before I have art for the complete cast. I’m looking into commissioning a couple of short original tracks for the soundtrack as well. A Phantom of the Opera story has to have good music!
The last couple of months have been rough for various reasons, but I finally finished this sprite for my unannounced visual novel project. Elaborate bustle gowns are simultaneously really fun and a huge challenge to paint.
The new full-time job on top of an ongoing freelance contract has been keeping me very busy, but I’ve still been making time for my own work! Since last update, I finished a new sprite for my VN project, made headway on another one, and tried out linocut printing for the first time since high school art class.
I’m planning to open an online shop soon for selling my lino prints. I will update here when it’s time to launch!
Apologies for the radio silence over here! I’ve been really distracted since I started new full-time job late in the year while also keeping up with a couple of freelance contracts. I continue, however, to still be hard at work on my personal VN project. I’ve completed one new sprite since the last update and also started another one.
I’m very excited to show off the first completed sprite for an as-yet-unannounced visual novel I’m working on. These gals are some minor characters who appear in the first scene. I plan to give them a simple idle animation using Live2D soon.
Follow @UlalariaGames on Twitter for updates on the game!
I’ve been doing some work on the choice menus in my as-of-yet-unannounced visual novel project. In the video above, I’m testing out a menu blur effect that uses Ren’Py’s new model-based renderer. Below are some fancier buttons I implemented later.